What can cause weakness in the arms and legs while taking bed rest due to upper respiratory infection?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hello the last 6 days I've been in bed with upper respiratory infection and sinus infection , it's clearing up just a bit of wheezing and coughing , no fever my question is now when I get up my arms and legs feel so weak , is this normal is it from laying in bed for days or maybe something els ? how do I get it to feel better
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Would improve with increased appetite and as symptoms resolve.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Yes, prolonged bed rest can cause weakness especially since you are fighting off an infection which would also be associated with weakness as well.

The symptoms can persist for 1 to 2 weeks unfortunately.

If your appetite decreased, as it improves and the infection resolves then you would start to feel better.

It would be important to make sure that you are using enough fluids as well.

A decongestant and cough suppressant, which are over the counter meds, would help if these particular symptoms continue.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician