question-icon

What can cause sudden shooting pain in the left shin area?

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018
Question: I have sudden shooting pain left shin area

Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Neuritis v/s Bone stress

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.

I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Such kind of shooting pain in shin area usually occurs due to neuritis, i.e. inflammation of nerve. Deficiency of vitamin B complex, especially vitamin B12 is responsible for this.

If the bones are weak (which is expected at your age), reduced bone mineral content (osteoporosis) often leads to stress related micro-fractures at the shin bone. Such micro-fractures often lead to shooting pain while walking or bearing weight.

I hope you have not suffered from trauma recently over the left shin.

I would suggest you to take adequate rest.

Avoid squatting, climbing stairs and sitting cross legged.

Apply a compression bandage around the affected part.

Analgesic tablets like Tramadol, Ibuprofen along with calcium, vitamin D and vitamin B12 should be taken.

Application of local analgesic gels/liniments followed by hot fomentation will help.

If the pain does not subside with the above measures, you should consult your nearby doctor and get an X-ray done.

I hope the answer was useful.

Dr. Mahaveer Patil , Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon