question-icon

What can cause strong urine odor and itching in the anal area?

Posted on Thu, 6 Sep 2018
Question: I have been experiencing really strong urine odour and anal itchiness for a few months now. I occasionally have light bleeding around my anus but this may be from the irritation. I haven’t noticed any strange discharge, rashes or other symptoms. Can you give me an idea of what this might be?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
UTI with fungal infection.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for query.

Bacteria that causes a urinary tract infection (UTI) can also produce a foul smell. Young females (who share a common toilet) are usually infected by a bacterium called E.coli.

This bacteria causes infection in the urinary tract which may cause increase production of nitrogen compounds giving very strong odor to urine.

Suggestion:
-Please go for a test called urine routine and microscopy.
-Take a course of antibiotic like Norfloxacin.
-An ultra sound of kidney and urinary bladder should be done.
-Take plenty of water around 3-4 liters per day.

Itching around anus can be due to fungal infection.If the area is not dried properly fungus infects it.

I would suggest you to go for physical examination by a doctor and to use anti fungal cream locally over the area.

Hope I was helpful.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist