What can cause severe tightness and clinching feeling in the upper left side of the abdomen and chest along with muscle weakness?
Needs EKG, ultrasound abdomen and X-ray abdomen erect spine.
Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in the best way possible. First of all, it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.
Based on the history you have shared, though it most likely seems to be of musculoskeletal in origin however other possibilities with the left abdominal pain of upper areas and chest should be ruled out like stomach related including peptic ulcer and gastritis etc., however, these are not usually varying with the posture as you described.
A baseline ultrasound abdomen to look for underlying structures for any spleen related issue or enlargement of spleen etc should be ruled out and a careful abdominal examination will be needed to be carried out at least by your primary care physician.
The radiation to the chest also increases the need to be worked up to rule out heart-related causes so a baseline EKG and if needed echocardiogram may also be needed. If it's related to some shortness of a breath or a dry cough, a chest X-ray to lungs related issues will be done.
These are most of the possibilities relating to your symptoms however since these are so generalised that narrowing it down to a single one needs to rule out each one as with sequence as we discussed.
The most likely possibility is still of muscular and meanwhile, OTC analgesics like Acetaminophen along with muscle relaxants like Orphenadrine or Tizanidine may be started.
Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.
Stomach issues and cervical rib should both be ruled out.
Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, those gurgling etc favors more towards stomach but both can occur simultaneously with musculoskeletal pain. Using Motility agents like Domperidone etc. can help to mediate such exaggerated bowel movements. If symptoms persist and all other tests are unremarkable, endoscopy may also be needed to rule out any a hiatal hernia or structural lesion.
The feelings in the pinky finger with head movements can be due to cervical outlet syndrome or something pressing upon the nerves supply to the arm and hand and in some cases, an extra pair of ribs are present in the cervical region by birth and may cause the same symptoms so should be ruled out.
Hope this helps your query.
Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Respiratory muscle weakness causes
- Arm muscle weakness causes
- Mold causing muscle weakness
- Severe muscle weakness causes
- Symptoms of Severe muscle weakness
- Total muscle weakness causes
- Facial muscle weakness causes
- Diagnosis of Severe muscle weakness
- Leg muscle weakness causes
- Muscle weakness causes
- Suggest treatment for UTI post urinary catheterization?
- Suggest treatment for cough during consumption while treating bulbar palsy
- What causes burning feeling in underarm with painful tiny bumps?
- Suggest treatment for pain in shoulders, upper arm and back
- What causes irregular heart beat on exertion in a person post cardiac...
- Suggest treatment for bleeding from gums
- Suggest treatment for the pain associated with post-herpetic neuralgia
- What does persistent nasal bleeding indicate?
- What causes Raynaud's phenomenon?
- What causes chronic heaviness under left rib cage and shortness of breath?