Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

What can cause severe headache on left side of head and ringing in left ear?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
Last night I had a feeling in my head that would have dropped me to the floor if i wasn't already sitting. I've looked up all sorts of different types of severe headaches but I would describe it as more of an irritating/vibrating feeling on the top left side of my head. It was almost as if my brain was falling apart or trying to ring itself out. I haven't noticed anything wrong physically but it still feels numb and I occasionally will hear ringing in my left ear.
Sun, 20 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 15 minutes later

Thanks for the query.

The description of your symptoms indicate that you might be suffering with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo or labyrinthitis (which is associated with tinnitus - Ringing in the ear). This is most commonly due to Idiopathic( unknown etiology) or any infections of the inner ear.

Practicing the following exercise(Epley's maneuver) described below, might help you in resolving your present symptoms:
1. Sit upright on the side of the bed or table.
2. Turn your head to the symptomatic side at a 45 degree angle, and then lie on your back.
3. Remain in this position for 20 seconds.
4. Turn your head 90 degrees to the other side.
5. Remain in this position for 20 seconds.
6. Roll your body to the side you are facing.
7. Remain in this position for 20 seconds.
8. Go back to the sitting position and remain up to 30 seconds in this position.
The entire procedure should be followed for minimum of three times a day. Following this everyday would help you to resolve your symptoms.

In addition, you might also benefit by medications like MECLIZINE or CINNARIZINE which are available Over the counter, and would be prescribed by your doctor.

It would be better to get examined by an ENT specialist who can examine the inner ear, and treat any infection if present.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor