What can cause severe diarrhea, stomach pain, weakness and chills possibly after eating spoiled food from a restaurant?
A gastroenteritis probably.
Hello, Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
The combination of upper abdominal pain with diarrhea suggests a gastroenteritis that is an infection of the intestines. Sometimes it's due to rotten food. In other cases it's due to viruses or bacteria. Nobody can tell for sure.
In cases like yours when there is no fever (or only low-grade fever with mild to moderate symptoms) we only treat the symptoms. Fever may change the way you'll have to deal with this infection.
The main aim for the patient should be to receive an adequate quantity of fluid in order to avoid dehydration. Drugs that reduce upper abdominal symptoms (like pain and nausea) include Metoclopramide and Domperidone. Bismuth may also help.
If you only pass liquid (no solid or semi-liquid stool) and the quantity is high in every bowel movement then it's more likely to be a viral gastroenteritis. Viral infections cannot be treated and usually take 3-5 days to clear. Blood in the stool suggests more serious infection (dysentery) that usually requires antibiotic treatment.
You can also use Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) for the chills.
I hope you find my comments helpful!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis, Internal Medicine Specialist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sour stomach pain diarrhea chills
- Feeling chills with stomach pains
- What is the cause for stomach pain and diarrhea
- What causes severe diarrhea with extereme weakness
- Stomach pain headache chills and diarrhea
- Stomach pain diarrhea nausea chills
- What can cause severe diarrhea
- What causes stomach pains and diarrhea after eating
- Stomach pain after eating and diarrhea
- Stomach pain diarrhea chills throwing up months