What can cause rashes on the legs and rough skin around the stomach area?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Thu, 6 Sep 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 1.9 year old daughter has got some skin rashes in one of her legs. Also, when we saw the paediatrician last time her skin around the stomach area was little rough for that he advised to use moisturiser but the skin rashes was there at that time. Images attached for the reference.

Questions:
1. Need your opinion on the skin rashes. Do we need to take her to the paediatric dermatologist for the further evaluation as this started almost 2 to 3 weeks back?
2. We are moisturising the area and seeing some progress. We both(her parents) have eczema issues and can this also be the same which got transferred from us?
3. What could be the reason for rough skin around the stomach area?

She is otherwise normal and no other issues.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be eczema.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your complaints and reviewed the attached photographs.

She seems to be having eczema on the legs.

Eczema occurs commonly in kids if there is a family history in the parents or grandparents. This has hereditary origin.
It is mostly associated with dry skin.

That's why there is roughness of the stomach area in your child.
You can take her to a dermatologist for further treatment.

I would recommend you to apply a mild topical steroid like Desonide cream on the affected areas along with liberal and frequent application of a moisturizing lotion on the entire body.

Also keep her skin as moisturized as possible, avoid hot water for bathing and instead use lukewarm water, avoid harsh soaps, avoid direct contact of woollen cloths with the skin, avoid dust and pets and avoid extremes of temperature.

These measures will help in improving her skin condition.

I hope this answers your query.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T