What can cause painful cramps in the abdomen, gas and an uncomfortable urge to defecate followed by constipation?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I've had a cramp in my stomach since yesterday. It was very painful in the evening until I had to puke. Afterwards I felt a bit better, but I feel like something is moving inside my. Intestines causing cramp. I went to the toilet twice yesterday and have passed some. Gas through the night and morning, but I have the feeling like I need the toilet, but I haven't had any luck yet. Any way to relieve this or what could be causing it? I also have slight pain in my lower back, may be because I slept in a bad pose.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Food poisoining or gastroenteritis very likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.

Have gone through your details and I appreciate your concerns.

Most likely you are suffering from gastroenteritis. It is an intestinal infection causing severe inflammation marked by cramp and spasms giving you feel of something moving along with it nausea, vomiting loose stools and constipation can also be there. However, its not necessary that all symptoms are there in a single patient.

If you feel like eating, try small amounts of plain foods, such as soup, rice, pasta and bread.

Take anti-vomiting medication (such as Zofran) its over the counter. Take antibiotic and anti protozoal course.

Tab Ofloxacin.

Tab Metronidazole.

These are antibiotics and available with written prescription of a doctor.

A probiotic should be taken to help replete the gut flora again.

Omeprazole (OTC) can be taken to help you with gas.

Test suggested:
Stool test.
USG abdomen.

Regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj