What can cause itching and welts on the upper abdomen?

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: The last 2 mornings I have noticed itching and whelps on upper abdomen before I get out of bed. After being up awhile the itching and the whelps start to subside. I am not on any new meds. I have been a diabetic for
almost a year. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. I have not had any problems with them. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
A reaction to certain allergen.

Detailed Answer:

I read your query carefully and understand your concern.

It seems that your symptoms are related to a reaction to a certain allergen (may not be related to the dogs and cats).
1) It can be due to certain foods. The most common foods that cause hives are nuts, chocolate, fish, tomatoes, eggs, and milk.

2) It can be due to an insect bite, certain medications such as Aspirin or Ibuprofen.

It would be helpful if you please send me a photo of the affected area so I can guide you better. You can simply upload/attach it to the reports section of this web page.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest you the following advice:
-antihistamines (like Cetirizine, Benadryl) are the first line of treatment.
-When antihistamines don't provide relief, oral Corticosteroids may be helpful.
-Apply cool compresses or wet cloths to the affected areas.
-Try to sleep in a cool room.
-Wear loose-fitting lightweight clothes.

If you feel that the symptoms are getting worse see your doctor for further management.

Hope my answer was helpful.

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee