What can cause itching and welts on the upper abdomen?
almost a year. I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. I have not had any problems with them. Thank you.
A reaction to certain allergen.
I read your query carefully and understand your concern.
It seems that your symptoms are related to a reaction to a certain allergen (may not be related to the dogs and cats).
1) It can be due to certain foods. The most common foods that cause hives are nuts, chocolate, fish, tomatoes, eggs, and milk.
2) It can be due to an insect bite, certain medications such as Aspirin or Ibuprofen.
It would be helpful if you please send me a photo of the affected area so I can guide you better. You can simply upload/attach it to the reports section of this web page.
Meanwhile, I'd suggest you the following advice:
-antihistamines (like Cetirizine, Benadryl) are the first line of treatment.
-When antihistamines don't provide relief, oral Corticosteroids may be helpful.
-Apply cool compresses or wet cloths to the affected areas.
-Try to sleep in a cool room.
-Wear loose-fitting lightweight clothes.
If you feel that the symptoms are getting worse see your doctor for further management.
Hope my answer was helpful.
Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Welt on lower abdomen
- How to treat dermagraphism causing welts with redness and itching
- What would cause itchy welts on buttocks
- What causes red welts on child stomach
- What cause elongated welts
- What causes itchy welts on skin
- What viruses cause unexplainable welts
- What is causing welt in my armpit
- Welt causes
- What causes skin welts