question-icon

What can cause high fever along with sore throat and excessive sleepiness?

Posted on Tue, 19 Mar 2019
Question: My good friend started running a high fever yesterday around 1pm, it was 104, it has gone up & down with Advil but still spikes to 103 or 104, her only other symptoms are sore throat and very sleepy, can hardly stay awake for only maybe 5 minutes
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Dehydration.

Detailed Answer:

Fever and sore throats could be a sign of either bacterial or viral infection..viral infection is usually self-limited within three days and will require only antipyretics.

I would recommend that you take the Advil in alternation with acetaminophen or paracetamol every four hours.

If the fever continues for more than three days then it is probably caused by a bacterial infection and will require an antibiotic.

The extreme sleepiness could be a sign of dehydration which is frequently associated with fever at your age. So, make sure that you drink at least eight cups of water daily and if the extreme sleepiness continues then please seek medical care for IV fluids.

I hope you find this helpful.

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman, Internal Medicine Specialist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman