What can cause fever, excessive sleepiness and blotchy skin in a 15 month old child?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: My daughter asked about the symptoms of her 15 month old daughter. Fever 101-102, sleepy, blotchy skin, is eating and drinking though. Earlier she had peanut butter and honey, but has had it before. No respiratory symtoms.
Answered by Dr. Eni 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Viral infection or due to allergy.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Did the fever start before or after the blotchy skin? Has he taken all the vaccination?

For how long is he on fever? If it is more than 24 hours? If so, he most probably is on a viral infection. He need to check with a pediatrician to see the type of the rash. The rash is very specific for different type of infection of the children in this age.

If he has not had any temperature before, and it showed up with the rash, than more probably this is due to an allergic issue. It can be the peanut, other foods or new clothes washed with specific detergents. Check if the children is wearing new clothes, for the first time. Avoid them, and consider to use creams or antihistamines allowed for these age group such as Cetirizine.

Regarding the sleepiness, this is caused by Tylenol (as you said he has been using it).

If you have other questions, please feel free to post them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Eni 1 hour later
Thank you very much Dr. Eni for your response to my question. When I had originally asked this question her fever started to drop down to 100°F. My granddaughter has been extremely lethargic today and the blotchy rash remains. They are in route to see her pediatrician at this time and get her checked out. Your responses seemed very much in line with what I was thinking, and I am leaning more towards a viral infection. But the good thing is is that they are catching it very early on. The concern for my granddaughter is that she only has one kidney and I don't know if that would play any part in some kind of infection Posing more of a problem for her. Thank you again for your time and for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Eni 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:

No. One single kidney will play not any role on higher risk of infection.

Detailed Answer:

One single kidney will not play any role in posing your granddaughter to greater risk for infection, so do not worry regarding this. One single kidney children live totally a normal life.

Regarding the infection that we are supposing, I am happy that you have already planned to see a pediatrician. Please let the doctor know if the child has been vaccinated regularly.

It is a good sign that the temperature has reduced slightly. This shows that she has a strong organism. Try to keep her well hydrated, this is very important, and use the Tylenol not more often than recommended dosage for her age. Too much of it will make her more sleepy.

Dr. Eni, General & Family Physician