Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

What can cause dizziness and ringing in the ears?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 3091 Questions
I have a mild headache and pressure in my head. near my temples and I some times feel dizzy. it feels like a buzzing sensation. sometimes I feel like I might pass out. and sometimes my hands shake. could it be an inner ear infection?
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ear infection wouldn't explain all the symptoms.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Some of the symptoms like headache, dizziness and buzzing (if on one side) might appear in the setting of an inner ear infection. However such an infection wouldn't justify that passing out feeling and the hand shaking, even if you had an inner ear infection shouldn't be responsible for that. The same would go for the sinusitis suggested by your doctor though, so not sure I agree with him either. In any case some cheap routine blood tests like a blood count and metabolic panel might be useful to search for changes indicating infections, anemia (which could produce those symptoms) or metabolic abnormalities. If your doctor strongly feels it's related to sinuses sinus imaging may be done as well.

If tests turn out normal and there are no other symptoms or findings in physical exam then I would also consider the possibility of anxiety. It would justify the hand shaking, dizziness and passing out feeling which are common with anxiety. It is also commonly associated with tension type headache which manifests with the headache and pressure feeling you describe.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor