What can cause constant unilateral burning pain in the buttocks?
Maybe nerve related pain.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
Burning discomfort is sometimes related to abnormal nerve function- neuropathy.
It can be temporary or permanent. There are different possible causes such as-
(1) trauma- e.g. problems with the nerves supplying this area can cause burning. This means arthritis of the spine or any changes in the spine can affect the nerves going out the buttocks
(2) liver or kidney disease
(4) low levels of vitamin B12 or folate
(5) thyroid disease
(6) abnormal levels of vitamin B6
(7) infection such as shingles
(8) neurological conditions such as stroke or MS.
In some persons, the cause is not found.
Imaging of the back would show any changes in the back that may be affecting the nerves.
If there is no obvious cause there, then blood tests to look at the other causes, would need to be found.
There are medications that can help with nerve related pain. Initially commonly used pain killers can be used (e.g. Ibuprofen, Naproxen, Voltaren but medication for neuropathy include- Gabapentin, Tegretol, Lyrica and Amitriptyline.
These are some of the medication used for nerve related pain though they have other uses as well.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes constant headache and burning pain in spine
- What causes pain in buttock
- What is the cause for hard painful buttock
- What causes constant stomach pains
- What causes burning pain in the penis
- What causes stomach pain constantly
- What is the cause of constant pain in ear
- What causes constant joint pain
- What causes constant neck pain
- What causes constant body pain
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?