What can cause a possible cold sore below my lip?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: This past Sunday I went to see an urgent care doctor in regards to a possible cold sore below my lip that manifested 3 days prior. Once the doctor looked at it he determined that an antibiotic would loosen it up. I was prescribed bactrim and micirocon. It's not thurs and only a slight improvement. Could it be something else viral vs bacterial. To not I'm type ii diabetic and have hypertension. Your thoughts.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Maybe viral which may require an antiviral.

Detailed Answer:

There are different causes for cold sores. It can sometimes occur if a person is otherwise ill and the immune system is down or it can occur due to a viral infection.

Herpes simplex 1, not the type of herpes found in the genitalia, is a common viral cause of a cold sore.
This is a common cause of cold sores and found in a lot of people in most populations.
It would require an antiviral medication, would not respond to an antibiotic (antibiotics would only treat bacteria). There are topical antivirals (eg zovirax) and oral.
In many cases, resolve on their own within a week.

If you continue to notice little or no change in the lesion then you should be reassessed.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician