What can cause a lack of ejaculation?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 28 Nov 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am an almost 67 year old male. I enjoy intercourse 1-2 times per week. While I am able to have an orgasm, I often notice a lack of ejaculate. Is this a problem?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be retrograde ejaculation.

Detailed Answer:

Hi, thanks for your query.

It does not mean that there is a serious issue present. In many men it may be due to retrograde ejaculation.

Retrograde ejaculation refers to a situation where the ejaculate goes backwards into the bladder instead of passing through the urethra. It would then pass out in the urine. There are some medications that can contribute to this eg flomax or terazosin

It would be a problem in men trying to conceive. Other than this, would not be harmful.

You can consider seeing a urologist to see if this is the reason for the decreased ejaculate.

I hope this helps.

Dr. Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician