Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What can be the flaky spots on the penis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 243 Questions
Hi I'm 28 years old. I'm 5"11 and I don't have any health problems at this time. My question is for 3 months I had these white flaky spots in the middle of my penis. They do not hurt or bleed. When I shower they go away, but as my skin drys it turns flaky again. Iam going to schdule a vist with my doctor Monday. Any idea what it might be?
Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 40 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Normally white flakes suggest either fungal infection or psoriasis.
In your case it seems to be more like fungal infection. In psoriasis, when the flakes are removed pin-size bleeding spots are seen, which you have not mentioned.

Penile skin is a common area to have fungal infection, and you are not alone, neither in having them, nor in being embarrassed.

Normally the fungal infection in penile area occurs because of humidity. So try to keep the local area dry.

For fungal infection, you may try oral antifungal medicines in combination with local antifungal cream, like Clotrimazole an over the counter topical antifungal cream. You may also try using a scentless moisturizer for sensitive skin on your penis after you step out of the shower. Your pores will be open from the steam, and the moisturizer will be absorbed more readily.

Avoid nylon undergarments, prefer loose fitting cotton ones.

Hope this answers your query. I am available for follow ups as well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor