What can be the effects of taking Nyquil and Xanax?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: 2 glassses of wine at dinner. Had sore throat and couldnt sleep so i took nyquil. Became anxious couple hours later so i took .25mg xanax, is this bad? Anxious.

I have had a hard time sleeping the past two nights, thought because i was under the weather. I had 2 glasses of wine at 10pm, went to bed, then took regular dose of nyquil at 12am, then couldnt sleep and my anxiety kicked in so i took .25mg xanax to settle down but now im super anxious and convinced i'll die if i go to sleep! Please let me know if im neurotic or shpuld be concerned.
Answered by Dr. Shubham Mehta 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You will not die due to this combination.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM.
I understand your concerns.

I would like to assure you that the combination of three is not life threatening.
You will not die at all. Dont panic. Just go to sleep.

Combining these three can cause excessive sedation. You might have some hangover in the next morning. Donot drive or do heavy work until you get clearly conscious.

Do not worry.
But kindly take these drugs only under doctor's supervision in future.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Dr. Shubham Mehta

Psychiatrist