What can be frequent bowel movement in child ?
My baby is nearly 7 1/2 months old. He has had runny bowel movements for 2 weeks. I've been to the doctors twice. They've checked his temperature, stomach, ears, glands and chest and it's all normal. It was said that it's either a tummy bug or related to teething. I'm getting anxious about it now as it's been 2 weeks. Is it normal for a tummy buy to last that long? He's going every 3-4 hours, but it does vary abit. Sometimes it's more like paste, other times very watery and the colour varies from brown, yellow and XXXXXXX Please can you give me some advice?
Thanks for the query.
The most common cause of diarrhea in infants are infections which can be either bacterial or viral in nature, milk intolerance and an allergy to some of the food items. Since it has been two weeks it requires a careful evaluation to look out for the cause of loose stools.
During teething, children have the tendency to mouth anything around to relieve irritation produced due to teething. This can lead to Viral or Bacterial infection producing Diarrhea.
If you have recently started top feed for him it can be related to lactose intolerance also as breast fed baby when switched can have these symptoms.
These following measures might help you in avoiding dehydration and reducing Diarrhea:
1.Give him oral electrolyte solutions as many times as he defecates or as advised by your doctor
2.Give him diluted formula feeds, if feeding him on that
3.Give him food items like Banana, rice cereals, soya milk and observe for changes
4.Maintain hygiene around him
5.Give him a teether usually available in Baby shops for his irritation due to teething.
It is best to get a Stool examination done to look out for any infection or parasitic infestation and treated accordingly.
Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Twisted bowel cause frequent bowel movements
- Slimey bowel movements and frequent bowel movements
- What could be the cause for frequent bowel movements
- Child started getting frequent bowel movement what should i do
- What are the reasons for frequent bowel movement during periods
- Child with frequent bowel movement and fever anything serious
- What can be frequent bowel movement in child
- What causes frequent bowel movements in infants
- What causes sticky stools and frequent bowel movements
- What is the reason for urge for frequent bowel movement
- Genital and anal itching, white testicular and anal skin, wounds
- Nausea, dizziness, sweating, fainting, Brain, EEG and Echo test negative
- Are there any chances of pregnancy with irregular period and abnormal...
- Overweight,vaginal discharge,no infection,want to conceive.
- Involuntary urination at night, during deep sleep, stress, overactive...
- Abortion, clots in menstrual cycle, spotting, vaginal bleeding, ovarian...
- How to treat dark patches under finger nails ?
- What are the side effects of ipill ?
- White patches on beard, vitiligo, betnesol safe to use ?
- What does Early Diastolic notch in scan report suggest ?