Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

What can be done to treat chronic cough?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12798 Questions
i have had a chronic cough for 1.5 weeks plus a bump behind my ear with a brown spot on it.
Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Having a cough for 10 days is a common problem.The bump behind your ear seems to be a swollen lymph node if the lump is also recent in its origin. There is infection in the throat which is causing the cough and the lymph node swelling behind the ear. Once the infection subsides, the swelling will also subside in next 2-4 weeks. I hope you do not smoke.

Regarding the cough, if it is associated with expectoration then a throat swab culture followed by a suitable antibiotic is needed for treatment.
If it is a dry cough then it is usually viral in origin and does not need any antibiotic.

Meanwhile you can have steam inhalation - Take hot water in a vessel / steam machine, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering yourself completely. This is effective home remedy.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor