Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

What can be done to treat bipolar disorder?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 662 Questions
my wife is suffering from Bipular mood disorder as per the Dr. she is under treatment... this happend after delivery... before she was having anxiety disorder... she become very short tempered and uses very abusive language if any small thing goes not as sahe want to happend.. Example : if her one and a half year boy doesnt cooperate in changing dipper she beat and shout and abuse him.. later she regrets also... she is currently taking Petril plus and from yesterday she also started Olize 2.5mg / Lameze 1 tab along with petril which she is taking 2 tabs. daily... kindly advise... she is 38 yrs. age
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 48 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I understand your problem. Your wife may have had POST PARTUM BLUES which has continued for sometime after the child birth. Now let me tell you about this condition.

Postpartum depression is a mood disorder that begins after childbirth and usually lasts beyond six weeks.

Postpartum depression is divided into two types: Early onset and late onset.

An early onset most often seems like the "blues," a mild brief experience during the first days or weeks after birth. Symptoms include tearfulness, irritability, anxiety, and mood changes, which tend to peak between three to five days after childbirth. The symptoms normally disappear within two weeks.

Late onset appears several weeks after the birth. This involves a slowly growing feeling of sadness, depression, chronic tiredness, inability to sleep, change in appetite, significant weight loss or gain.

Now let me discuss about the treatment options:

Several treatment options exist including medication,psychotherapy, counselling.

One effective treatment combines antidepressant medication and psychotherapy. These types of medication are often effective when used for 3 to 4 weeks. Any medication use must be carefully considered if the woman is breast-feeding.

Consult a psychiatrist for the proper choice of mood adultrant drugs along with dose titration.

Dont worry she will be all right. Hope it will certainly help you.

And I am ready for the future follow up queries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What can be done to treat bipolar disorder? 2 hours later
Thanks for your answer.... now it's the child is 1and a half year old but her problem is continuing... initially she has depressing moods but of late for last 3 months she got this Bipolar mood disorder in which she has different moods where she shouts and abuse... she is under treatment of Dr. XXXXXXX from Lucknow.. since we are in Dubai only on phone i able to convey her problems and based on which Dr. has increased her medicine..
Do you think she requires to consult Dr. and get councelling done which may help her to get out of these medicines... she has gained 6 kg. weight also after getting into these madicines... earlier post pregnancy time she was weak and lost weight a lot.
Kindly advise if she be bought to any of your center to get physically checked and advise medicines accordingly.

Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 9 minutes later
HI again,

Well, I think you should consult some psychiatrist in your place, for counselling and proper dose titration of drugs, she need antidepressant, and some anti psychotic drug like haloperidol.

As far as weight gain is concerned, it requires proper exercise and diet workup, and as I have told you that weight gain is a probability in this condition, so no need to worry.

She will be absolutely all right.

Hope this will help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor