Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

159 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What can be done to relieve pain of an engorged breast while breastfeeding from one breast?

Answered by
Dr. Richa Agarwal


Practicing since :1999

Answered : 3314 Questions

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor,

My wife has feed her 2 month baby from one breast because of cracked nipples pain in other breast.

Now breast got engorged .
She is much worried.What should her do?
thanks in advance.

Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hot fomentation and expression of milk.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.

As her breast got enforced, she should do hot fomentation and expression of milk.

If there is abscess fermentation than required pain killer and antibiotics as well.

Hope you found useful, feel free to ask more information.

Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 3 days later
Hi Mam, Firstly thank you so much for quick response. can u please explain in detail on fomentation & milk expression? She is having severe pain while pumping out milk by pump. And breast size has got double in Size compare to other breast. and colored Red. Please suggest us antibiotics & Pain killer. And it is Gynecologist case or any other sprcialist?? can this problem be cause of breast cancer?? your suggestions will be valuable to us. Thanks Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is a gynecological case.

Detailed Answer:


You are always welcome.

Yes, it is a case of a gynecologist and she can take antibiotics and painkiller after examination by the treating doctor because they are the prescription drugs.

For fomentation either you can take warm water (as tolerated) or warm cloth and apply over her breast which makes it soft then you can express the milk with the help of your hands.

But if you are unable to do it kindly consult a Gynecologist to do it properly under supervision.

It is not cancer but may cause cellulitis and abscess (infection in breast).

Hope you found this useful.

Good luck.

Take care.

Dr. Richa Agarwal, OBGYN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on