Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What can be done to alleviate abdominal bloating?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12678 Questions
I have severe abdominal bloating for last 2 weeks, and is always immediately after I eat, I do not have gas, I look like I'm 7 mths pregnant .I have had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago and had surgery to correct Hiatus Hernia. I also have very painful cramping, which happens frequently and is usually or not relieved by severe diarrhea, with a very foul smell, I also am experiencing fatique, and intercourse is very painful. I was diagnosed 4 years ago with IBS, I have tried all types of medication and nothing works, I had allergy testing done today for foods and was not allergic to anything, including milk, eggs, wheat etc. I saw my gastro Dr in XXXXXXX and said I did not need another colonoscopy as I had one 4 years ago, however these symptoms including abdominal pain middle of chest under rib cage,which is very tender to touch, when I push on the right side under my ribs it hurts kind of feels like I just got punched in the stomach like the wind knocked out. Does this sound like its just IBS or should I pursue for more testing with my Dr. (who keeps saying its IBS). I know that IBS is diagnosed by elimination of other problems, but after 4 years is it not possible that there is something else causing the problems . Thank you very much
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

The symptoms you are experiencing like painful cramping , diarrhea, fatigue etc do relate with IBS but the painful intercourse or the severe pain in the center of your chest under the rib cage cannot be attributed to IBS.

Next thing is gall bladder removal, it needs great behavioral modification in your eating habits. Very small meals at multiple times. I am sure your doctor would have advised you on that. This is very important and greatly improves your symptoms. Avoid all fatty foods as there is no good amount of enzyme called 'lipase' which digests it. Work on these for next three weeks and report it back to me.

I will advice you on what to do next.

The painful intercourse might be associated with chronic pelvic inflammatory disease. I think it should be separately dealt by your Gynecologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor