Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
136 Doctors are Online

What can be done to alleviate a dull pain in the inner side of the vulva?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
I am suffering a dull vulvar pain in one side. I think it was originally caused by wearing slightly tight jeans on a longish journey where I was seated for several hours. The pain has remained though, two weeks later, and is probably getting slightly worse. It isn't so bad when I'm standing and moving about but I'm aware of it when sitting and also when in bed at night. I don't have any burning or itching. The pain appears to be inside somewhere, not on the surface. I'm 62 and otherwise quite healthy. I'm not overweight, height 5ft 4in.
Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 49 minutes later
Hi Agnes,

Thanks for the query.

You initially stated as vulvar pain and in the end located XXXXXXX which are quite contrasting.

When was your last annual physical done?

A XXXXXXX vaginal, onesided, dull pain for a 62 yr old menapause woman who is otherwise healthy I would try to rule out causes related to Uterus, Bowel and Bladder, apart from local vaginal dry XXXXXXX

Take an appointment with a primary physician, you require both vaginal examination and Ultrasound check to rule out all of the above. Meantime give a sincere trial with vaginal moisturizers like Vagifem for couple of weeks. Also you can pick low dose Tab Ibuprofen 200mg for relief of pain.

Hope I answered your query. I shall be available for any follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What can be done to alleviate a dull pain in the inner side of the vulva? 59 minutes later
I'm virtually certain I don't have any uterus, bowel or bladder problems, but I do certainly have a degree of vaginal dryness. Perhaps I didn't explain the pain sufficiently - when I say it is not on the surface, it is perhaps only a little below the surface. I thought at first I had some kind of cyst but could see or feel nothing on the surface of the skin. The area which has the pain is to the front and left of my vagina, on the outer part of the vulva. The pain is not constant but worse when I sit down.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 minutes later

Dull one sided vulvar pain with no obvious organic problems.....

Try the vaginal moisturizer and Tablet Ibuprofen as in my earlier reply. If they do not help, then a nerve pain is a possible reason.

We know that our body and mind work together, sometimes it is so that the obvious cause of pain is gone, but we still feel the pain expecting it to happen.

Please see your primary doctor to rule out other far reasons which cannot be thought by just explaining them.

Wish you Good Health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What can be done to alleviate a dull pain in the inner side of the vulva? 48 minutes later
Many thanks. I have always thought that pain can almost become a habit - hopefully this is the case here too. I'll be patient and wait for it to go!
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 9 minutes later
That is right. If you like the conversation with me, you have an option to accept my answers.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor