Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

What can be done painful heels due to walking bare foot on gravel path ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1391 Questions
Hi I am 37 years old, 5'8" , about 160 pounds, in generally good health as far as i know. no conditions or medications.
Issue is I had a crazy idea to going running barefoot on gravel roads 4 nights ago for about 2 hours on and off. I don't remember having significant pain when i was doing it but the morning after i had sharp pain in all the areas of the bottom of my feet that make contact with the ground, especially the heels. It was very hard to walk or stand. It has gotten better since and the pain is gone from everywhere except the heels which are less painful, but still very painful. 2 days ago there was a kind of pain when i would stand and then raise my foot in the air there would be a very heavy aching pain. This has passed, now there is more of a spread buzzing/numb type of pain and sometimes sharp pain. There doesn't seem to be swelling. I stand a lot during work (i do massage) and i work privately and don't have any insurance so if i don't work i have no income so i hope to avoid that so am just hoping for the best and have not gone to a doctor to get it checked.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 32 minutes later

Thanks for your query.
After learning your complain, It seems you have got some soft tissue injury and some mascular pain.

What I can suggest you is
1) Take some rest in between your work( say 5min every hr)
2)Take time out and keep your legs elevated.(also during night keep legs raised by keeping two pillows)
3) Use soft footwear say soft rubber,with heel protection.
4) Take some analgesics like ibuprofen and muscle relaxant if you can.
5)Keep your feet in lukewarm water with some added common salt to it.(this will reduce the pain and swelling if any)
6)Apply topical analgesic or counterirritant on the affected part.
7)If pain does not subside by two days then u must visit a doctor for further work up and to rule out any serious injury.

Hope this helps.
Write to me if you have any further questions or explanations.
Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor