What can I take Imodium or Kaopectate for severe diarrhea?
Detailed information below.
Diarrhea is mostly cleared on it's own within few days ( 3-5 ). So in the beginning taking home care suffices. It consists of-
*Keeping yourself hydrated - take sufficient water, take boiled & cooled water with a bit of sugar( 1/4th spoon & salt added ( a pinch )in a glass, over the counter ORT can be used with ample of water ( 10- 15 glasses in a day.), lemon water , sport drinks.
Avoid liquids that are likely to stimulate bowel movements like caffeinated drinks or alcohol, sugary drinks or milk & milk products.Ban .
* Start with Rest & clear liquids ( broth) & plenty of water ( as explained above ))for first 24 hours followed by bland diet ( Rice, banana, Apple sauce , toasts or boiled potato with pinch of salt .
- Avoid food that contains excess of fibers ( brown rice, , XXXXXXX , whole grains.). Certain foods irritates your intestines , they are to be avoided ( spicy, oily or greasy diet/ excessive sugary diet . If you are taking any of these, please exclude the food you suspect is troubling you.
* Over the counter medicines( you have already tried few) like Dependal M can be taken twice/ thrice a day
* In case you are not relived with home care/ you are already dehydrated/ have lot of pain- you have to approach for detailed evaluation of your health by physical examination , laboratory tests that are needful followed by specific medication.Please consult your family physician
I hope that answers your query. Any follow up query is welcome.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What should be done in severe diarrhea
- Cefdinir severe diarrhea
- Severe diarrhea vomiting and hot flushes what to do
- Causes of severe diarrhea
- Treatment for severe diarrhea
- What causes severe diarrhea with extereme weakness
- What classes as severe diarrhea for microgynon
- What can cause severe diarrhea
- How to cure severe diarrhea
- Zoloft and severe diarrhea