Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

What can I do to treat fibromyalgia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 362 Questions
I am very sure that I suffer with Fibromyalgia. My mum is severley disabled through Fibromyalgia and I have majority of her symptoms. I have been to my GP god knows how many times about it... he knows hardly anything about the disease and is starting to aggrevate me as I have had had blood tests and x-rays with nothing showing wrong. He tells me that if I had fibromyalgia then it would show up in the blood test!!! I know that this is not the case. I am 26 years old and have 2 children. I have sudffered with my lower back for about 6 to 8 years now, but when I had my son in 2007 the pain grew all down the lower of my body and up the middle of my back. Since having my daughter last year, it is now affecting all my back, legs,pelvic area, up to my shoulder blades, arms and neck. Sometimes it it that bad i cant do my housework. it is now in my hands and sometimes struggle to hold a cup or glass. I have suffered with depression since I had my son and I cannot shift it. All of this pain makes my depression and anxiety 100 times worse. I am going to physio on thursday but thats all my GP is willing to do. I just dont know what to do anymore as no one really seems to know about it. Have you any suggestions to help me please.
Many thanks. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 13 hours later
Thanks for the query.

It seems most probably that you have Fibromyalgia.

The overall approach for chronic pain in fibromyalgia involves a multifaceted treatment plan that incorporates :

1. Non-pharmacologic therapies
such as, adjuvant medicines, aerobic exercise, and psychologic and behavioral approaches to reduce distress and promote self-efficacy and self-management (eg, relaxation training, activity pacing, visual imagery, distraction).

2. Pharmacologic Therapies include various combinations of analgesics, tri-cyclic anti-depressants, beta-blockers and anti-epileptics.

Your GP will not be able to guide your further in this case.
You must consult a pain specialist or a Rheumatologist to get a better advice and specific treatment.

Its difficult for me prescribe you anything over this forum.
Its advisable that you consult your specialist as its going to be a treatment which requires close follow up at frequent intervals.

Hope this answers your query.
Do get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor