• question-icon

What are the withdrwal side effects of Cymbalta?

Posted on Sat, 12 Jul 2014 in Depression
Question: I have taken myself off Cybalta gradually and have been off for about a month by weening....Have not taken a pill for about a week or so but still having the effect of , what I call, brain flashes, similar to short electrical flashes in my brain. I was prescribed the medication for my hot flashes and arthritis and had been on it about 10 yrs. Trying to get off of it to lose weight, be more active and energetic and not so hungry all the time. My question is: How long will these "electrical" brain flashes continue. They are quite annoying. I have lost 5lbs. and feel more like doing physical tasks but also not tired at night and going to bed around 12 am...when I used to crash at 10. Will this all balance out the longer I am off Cymbalta or its generic?
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to discontinuation of Cymbalta

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

Since you had been on Cymbalta for a very long period and it's been just a week after completely coming off the medication, it is likely that the symptoms that you are experiencing are a result of the discontinuation effects of Cymbalta.

Having such 'electrical' brain flashes or 'zaps', sleep cycle changes, etc. are indeed commonly reported symptoms after discontinuing anti-depressant medication. These symptoms are lukely to settle down gradually over the next few weeks.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar MBBS., DPM., MRCPsych.(U.K.)
Consultant Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 14 hours later
Thank you! Just needed reassurance that these effects of discontinuation will be going away soon. Now, that I am off of the 30mg. Cymbalta is there another over the counter med I can take for my arthritis pain other than the Aleve I am taking morning and night? I am also undergoing physical therapy for knee pain and will soon be getting Synvisc injections for troublesome knee. Xrays show that it is not bone-on-bone yet but just arthritis and too much wt. Am losing wt.(10 lbs. to go), as I become more active so hoping that will impact Arth. pain as well. Playing golf when it is not too hot. Cannot take Ibprofen as am allergic....or had incident years ago and throat closed up.
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Can try Acetaminophen...

Detailed Answer:

If you have a history of allergy with Ibuprofen and you are already on Aleve (Naproxen), then you can try Acetaminophen (Tylenol). Tramadol is usually very effective for arthritis pain but is available only as a prescription medication.

Consultant Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar

Psychiatrist