What are the withdrawal symptoms of phenobarbital?
Approximatley 5 days ago, I started feeling I was getting sick flu/cold symptoms that have worsened )just as I decreased the phenobarbital to 105 mg) I have a majot sore throat and it feels swollen to me on right side (same side I had temporal lobectomy surgery), bloody nose on right side several times randomly, coughing alot, difficulty swallowing food, increased seizures. What do you think I should do? Come some of this be from going off ther Phenobarbital which I have been taking for approximatley 10 years. Also is it appropriate or necessary to get tersts other than EEG, MRI years, decades following temporal lobectomy while still having seizures?
Thanks for the query
The symptoms that you are suffering from could be due to the withdrawal effect of the Phenobarbitone which you have been taken for all these years.
Returning of seizures, restlessness, slow heartbeat, shallow breathing, feeling light-headed, fainting, fever unexplained bruising or bleeding, purple spots, mouth ulcers, sore throat, etc. are the few common symptoms which follow on withdrawal of Phenobarbitone.
Twenty-five percent of patients do not respond favorably to seizure surgery, usually because not all of the focus could be removed or because the seizures were in fact multi-focal. Hence one cannot expect the seizures to be completely controlled with surgery.
You can discuss these issues with your Neurologist as you require a dose modification of the Phenobarbitone. MRI will not provide much information regarding these symptoms, whereas EEG could be beneficial in assessing the seizure activity.
Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.
Dr. Naveen Kumar
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the withdrawal symptoms of phenobarbital
- What helps sertraline withdrawal symptoms
- What are the withdrawal symptoms of norco
- What helps zoloft withdrawal symptoms
- What are the withdrawal symptoms for neurotin
- What are the withdrawal symptoms of adderall
- What are sertraline withdrawal symptoms
- What are withdrawal symptoms
- What are the withdrawal symptoms of krimson 35
- What are the withdrawal symptoms of femulen
- Small multi-nodular goiters,elevated T3 in thyroid profile,TSH and T4...
- Blocked ears, dizziness, BP 120/66, tooth removal done recently, fever
- Fell and injured jaw, stiff neck, swollen lymph node, fever, neck pain
- What should I do if I have heartburn, tenderness at the base of my throat?
- How to treat watery eyes ?
- How to treat allergic rashes due to medications ?
- Hard,tender lump on side of face,lump rolls,eyelid swollen after tick...
- Throat tightens,unable to sleep,generic of nexium,generic for...
- What is the reason for tightness in throat and fatigue?
- Chinese herbal creams, eczema ointment, base cream from company,...