What are the withdrawal symptoms of alcohol?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: If a person drinks alcohol daily and then abruptly stops, could they be getting weak and trembling hands and arms?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

Yes absolutely, this is classic for alcohol withdrawal. Tremor in the hands, arms, and indeed the whole body can occur. This places you at very high risk of seizure and death. If you plan to detox off alcohol, it needs to be done in a monitored hospital environment. Visit an ER immediately.

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 11 minutes later
Ask an alternative, would it help the situation ' lower the risk to slowly decrease intake?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Yes, slowly decreasing intake is much safer than suddenly stopping. But there is still a serious risk of seizure and death if you are not in a monitored hospital setting.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee