What are the withdrawal symptoms of Vicodin?

Posted on Wed, 21 Sep 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have been taking about 22,5 mg of Vicodin for chronic pain for several years. I'm struggling with opiate induced constipation and take miralax with success.

When I discontinue Vicodin is there s chance that my bowels could return to normal function?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

The answer to your question is yes -- opioid-induced constipation is absolutely reversible when opioids are discontinued. Because you have been on opioids for so long, it may take a few weeks for your bowels to return to normal function. But rest assured this problem will go away once the Vicodin is stopped.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist