What are the withdrawal symptoms of Ativan?

Posted on Wed, 13 Apr 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i'll been taking ativan approx. 3-4 weeks (2mg x 3 a day). I cut to 1mg x 2 day (night & bedtime) for the last 3 days (no doctor involved). I don't feel ok, but not really bad. I've also been taking Lexapro 10mg once a day for the last been 4 weeks. Will the lexapro ease my withdrawal? I've also been through opiate withdrawals (cold turkey) multiple times (very hard 5-7 days) and made it alone. I'm not saying i was that strong but i had no options & made it through some how. Will the Lexipro help me with the Ativan W/D? Will the 1mg x 2 help me through the major effects of Ativan W/D?

Thank you. How many days at .5 once a day?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weaning from ativan

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have been on ativan and now trying to wean from them. The best way to wean is 1 mg 2/day for 2 days then 1/2 mg twice daily for 2 days then 1/2 once daily and then stop. Weaning from ativan can be as difficulty with increased anxiety. Fortunately you have not been on ativan for very long as the withdrawal then should be much worse and could potentially cause seizures. I do not think you are in danger of seizures since your use has been so limited.

The lexapro unfortunately with not help with the withdrawal issues.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
one-two days

Detailed Answer:
I would recommend 1-2 days of the 1/2 mg and that should get you through the withdrawal with the least amount of withdrawals
Dr. Ronald Schubert