What are the visible symptoms after accidental consumption of Ibuprofen by child?
Unlikely to cause serious symptoms but please mark her play area safe
Thanks for writing in to u s.
I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.
1. The recommended dose of ibuprofen for children is 4 to 10 mg/ kg every 6 to 8 hours with maximum daily dose of 40 mg/ kg
2. As your child weighs 24 pounds or 12 kg therefore the total permissible daily dose if 12 x 40 = 480 mg and this is a safe limit. The 800 mg dose is under twice the maximum limit and usually will not cause any serious symptoms due to accidental intake.
3. I have come across children like your daughter in the similar age group who have taken 3 tablets of ibuprofen 400 mg which is approximately 1200 mg and they did not have any significant clinical problems.
4. Please be reassured that your daughter will not have any significant problems even in the event of accidental intake of an 800 mg pill. However please continue to search for the pill at your home and especially the places accessible to her and mark her play area safe.
5. The symptoms of ibuprofen overdose are difficulty in breathing and loss of consciousness. Some children might also have vomiting of blood rarely.
Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.
Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the symptoms of pregnancy after hysterectomy
- What are the symptoms after taking ipill
- Ibuprofen kidney damage symptoms
- What are the symptoms of nephrotic syndrome in child
- Ibuprofen addiction symptoms
- Allergic reaction to ibuprofen symptoms
- What is the symptoms after losing virginity
- What are the symptoms after closed rhinoplasty
- Symptoms of ibuprofen withdrawal
- What is the symptoms after misgarage