question-icon

What are the visible symptoms after accidental consumption of Ibuprofen by child?

default
Posted on Fri, 29 May 2015
Question: I lost an 800 MG ibuprofen out of my pocket, I'm worried my daughter could pick it up and swallow it. I have looked ALL over my house, so I'm hoping it slid out of my pocket while we were out and about. But, if she does get a hold of it. What signs do I look for? And will she be ok? She is 2 and weighs 24 pounds.
doctor
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail (33 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to cause serious symptoms but please mark her play area safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to u s.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. The recommended dose of ibuprofen for children is 4 to 10 mg/ kg every 6 to 8 hours with maximum daily dose of 40 mg/ kg

2. As your child weighs 24 pounds or 12 kg therefore the total permissible daily dose if 12 x 40 = 480 mg and this is a safe limit. The 800 mg dose is under twice the maximum limit and usually will not cause any serious symptoms due to accidental intake.

3. I have come across children like your daughter in the similar age group who have taken 3 tablets of ibuprofen 400 mg which is approximately 1200 mg and they did not have any significant clinical problems.

4. Please be reassured that your daughter will not have any significant problems even in the event of accidental intake of an 800 mg pill. However please continue to search for the pill at your home and especially the places accessible to her and mark her play area safe.

5. The symptoms of ibuprofen overdose are difficulty in breathing and loss of consciousness. Some children might also have vomiting of blood rarely.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Regards,
Dr.Vivek
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
doctor
Answered by
Dr.
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 6853 Questions

premium_optimized

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
What are the visible symptoms after accidental consumption of Ibuprofen by child?

Brief Answer: Unlikely to cause serious symptoms but please mark her play area safe Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to u s. I have read through your query in detail. Please find my observations below. 1. The recommended dose of ibuprofen for children is 4 to 10 mg/ kg every 6 to 8 hours with maximum daily dose of 40 mg/ kg 2. As your child weighs 24 pounds or 12 kg therefore the total permissible daily dose if 12 x 40 = 480 mg and this is a safe limit. The 800 mg dose is under twice the maximum limit and usually will not cause any serious symptoms due to accidental intake. 3. I have come across children like your daughter in the similar age group who have taken 3 tablets of ibuprofen 400 mg which is approximately 1200 mg and they did not have any significant clinical problems. 4. Please be reassured that your daughter will not have any significant problems even in the event of accidental intake of an 800 mg pill. However please continue to search for the pill at your home and especially the places accessible to her and mark her play area safe. 5. The symptoms of ibuprofen overdose are difficulty in breathing and loss of consciousness. Some children might also have vomiting of blood rarely. Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek