What are the various treatments for kidney stone?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: Does it take two or three surgeries for a kidney stone? I had a stent put, now I have to have the lithotripsy, and then a stent removal?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not all, but some individuals may require more than 1 surgery sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. The stent was first placed hoping the stone would pass by just dilating the ureter (using the stent i.e.). In most cases, the usage of the stent along with flush therapy (excess fluid intake) helps the stone to pass.

But in cases where the stent does not suffice, then we go ahead with lithotripsy in order to make it easier for the stone to passed (once broken into smaller fragments).

So in response to your question, although not all individuals require more than one surgery, some can. I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
The stone was described as large to begin with, and I was scheduled for the lithotripsy right after the stent placement, so the stone was not expected to pass.
What happens after the lilthotripsy? Does the stent stay in for a short time, and then taken out?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained elaborately below sir, let me know if you have more questions :)

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thanks for that, it gives me a better perspective of things.

Well, after the lithotripsy, depending on which type of lithotripsy procedure is used, we wait for the stones to be passed. If the stones are passed during the procedure itself, and there are not remaining stones in the entire renal tract, then the stent can be removed.

But if only the larger stones are passed, and a few other smaller ones are still present, then the stent is left in place sir. But usually, the stent is then kept for a short period of time at the most.

Best wishes sir. :)
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
I had had prostate radiation, so when there was blood in my urine, my urologist ordered a CT scan. Before the scan results were back, he prescribed a solution that was not covered by my insurance. When the scan showed a large kidney stone, smaller ones, and a large mass, the doctor said it could be a blood clot, and he was going in. After the stent was inserted, I asked him about the blood clot and he said it was clear. I grimaced because I am a fan of least invasive procedures, and would have preferred to get a solution that was covered by my insurance. He is now quite miffed. Anyway, what in the way of pain should I expect after the lithotripsy as the broken and smaller stones pass during the following week(s), since none of that part of it has ever been discussed?
Thank you for listening.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Things should only get better once the lithotripsy is conducted

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

Always here to listen, guide and provide you with my input.

The grade of pain should start reducing, mainly because the pain (if present now) is primarily because of the size of the stone (the larger one) and because of it being impacted in some part of the tract.

So once the larger stone is broken into smaller pieces, the main cause of the pain (it being impacted or lodged) is no more present. So the pain should only start subsiding once the procedure is conducted sir.

As time progresses, you will start getting more comfortable, and soon you should be symptom-free (hoping the stone passes).

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.