Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

What are the various treatment options for ruptured eardrum?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 709 Questions
hi my father has 2 or 3 wholes in one of his ears. it's been a few years that he has had them. according to him his family doctor says that he needs a surgery. he doesn't like to go ahead with the surgery, does he have other options? is there any other treatment? thanks bye I think in medical terms is called a "Ruptured Eardrum" in English. anyways is surgery his only option? he has them for a few years. it's been a few months that he has moved back in with us and I think he's experiencing hearing loss.
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 8 days later
Brief Answer: surgery not a must. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, There are 2 types of holes in the ear drum 1) Safe hole 2) Unsafe hole. Your ENT will be able to tell you which type he has. If the hole is unsafe then suregry is usually indicated since complications can occur if left alone. If the hole is safe then surgery is not a must. Now about hearing loss - If there has been no discharge from the ear for a long time and the ear is dry then he can opt for a hearing aid. You can ask your ENT for the same. He will require an audiogram to know the type and degree of hearing loss after which he can take a hearing aid trial. Till then he should keep his ears dry and not let water get inside the ear. Feel free to follow up, Dr Rajkishori
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor