• question-icon

What are the uses of Atenolol?

Posted on Sat, 12 Mar 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I am taking atenolol 50 mg. and want to know if it makes me retain water. I also take furosemide (dr. ordered) for the water retention and then potassium to put it back in my system. I also take Warfarin 2.5
WHAT CAN CHANGE SO IT WILL ELIMINATE THE WATER RETENTION? Thanks so much . I am 185 yrs. &
take care of my 90 yr. old husband (so glad I still have him).
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it does not cause water retention

Detailed Answer:

atenolol does not cause water retention. I suppose they've prescribed it to control the heart rate which could get to high levels if left untreated due to the atrial fibrillation. It's very likely that your husband has some degree of heart failure. His age and atrial fibrillation are very suggestive about it.

You should watch salt consumption, which includes the salt he may add to this plate but also the 'hidden' salt in cheese, too much bread, various snacks, etc.

If he has too much swelling on the legs then you should consult his doctor to modify his diuretic treatment.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis