Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

What are the underlying causes for fatty liver?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
My husband has been having pain on his right side. He drinks a lot of beer and has for many years although enzyme tests for the liver all come back normal. However, recently when he went to his gastroenterologist, they did CAT scan and did not find much except that it did say he had a fatty liver. While his doctor said nothing about it, I have a friend with a fatty liver and she had pain in the same area. He has noticed a difference in the pain since he stopped drinking but it has not gone away completely. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Fatty liver does not cause any pain. It can stay hidden for a very long time without no symptoms at all. So this is not a reason of his symptoms. Upper right abdominal pain can be caused by gallstones or pancreas inflammation. Gallstones are usually invisible in abdominal CT, ultrasound should be done. Gallstones give pain which radiates to the back, nausea and vomiting can appear. The pain usually appears after a meal or alcohol. Pancreas chronic inflammation gives upper right pain witch is severe and not intense. Diarrhea and fatty stools can appear. Sometimes stomach peptic ulcer can give upper right abdominal pain. I suggest your husband to: - have abdominal ultrasound to rule out gallstones - if no gallstones, gastroscopy should be done - have cholesterol level and pancreas tests checked - modify diet: avoid fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor