What are the underlying causes for fatty liver, IBS and shortness of breath?

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have had symptoms of severe fatigue, bloating of the stomach, reflux, IBS, shortness of breath and pain on the Lhs of my stomach just under my ribs for about three years. I have had many blood tests during this time and sent to a rheumatologist who asked for an MRI. One of the blood tests gave a reading of 320 for smooth muscle antibodies SMA. ANA was normal. As I have had autoimmune problems before, Raynaud's, also hives when I have a viral infection I don't understand why the doctors I have seen do not consider autoimmune hepatitis as a diagnosis. My liver is fatty but no one has considered doing a liver biopsy. My concern is that without diagnosis or treatment it may get worse. Should I pursue it further with my doctor and insist they look further? I am a female 61 years of age.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Fatty liver needs attention and treatment. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing in. Many of the symptoms which you have described can be attributed to fatty liver. Fatty liver is reversible but needs to be treated aggressively. I would suggest you to undergo liver function testing in order to evaluate the functional status of the liver.In addition alipid profile as well. Having done that and assuming the enzyme levels to be normal then you could start the following protocol. a. Medications 1. sorbitol with tricholine citrate combination for 6 full months. 2. ornithine compouds for 6 weeks. b. Dietary modifications: high protein,low carbohydrate,low fat diet. c. Regular exercise for 40 minutes. Now at this moment of time if liver function happens to be normal then aliver biopsy would not be advisable. I am sure you will benefit from these guidelines. Regards