Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

What are the treatments for an Arthus reaction to bee stings? Used anti-histamines, topical cortisone and NSAIDS

User rating for this question
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 325 Questions
What are the treatments for an Arthus rxn to bee stings? I have had this happen in prior instances, but this is on the back of my right hand and is driving me up the wall. I've tried the usual anti-histamines, topical cortisone creams, NSAIDS, and even some jewelweed oil I keep for poison ivy exposure. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

I have read your query; Type III reactions are often called immune complex diseases, and include Arthus reaction. Arthus type of reaction becomes apparent 8-12 hours after a sting and could persist for two to three days. It is associated with an excess of precipitins and often causes tissue damage, blistering and bruising.

The management of systemic manifestations of bee sting is usually supportive because of the non-availability of any specific antivenin. Treatment is entirely dependent on symptoms produced.

The mainstay of bee sting treatment is actually protective measures to prevent bee stings, especially if patients are known to have allergic reactions.

If you've had a serious reaction to a bee sting or you've been swarmed by bees, your doctor will likely refer you to an allergy specialist (allergist) for allergy shots (immunotherapy). These shots are generally given on a regular basis for a few years and can reduce or eliminate your allergic response to bee venom.

Hope I have been of help.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor