What are the treatments available to remove thymus tumor?

Posted on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: I have a diagnosed 2" diameter thymus tumor with no symptoms. While I definitely am considering surgery to remove it (the doctor says it always needs to be removed), I am wary of his desire to perform a biopsy first. I do not understand the need for that pain if I am going to have it removed anyway. Also, does this surgery always involve "cracking" the breast bone or are there less invasive methods to remove the tumor?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Robotic Surgery makes it possible to do without cracking the chest bone

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/60 - 2'' thymus tumor - no symptoms - considering surgery to remove it - wary of Surgeon's desire to perform a biopsy first - wants to know the need - whether needs cracking the breast bone or ....

First of all to tell you, the the robotic surgery has made it possible to remove the tumor without cutting through the breast bone. Please get an informed knowledge which center in your area does have the facility of robotic surgery (Mediastinoscopy) and whether they perform thymus surgery.

Need of biopsy: This is an individual decision of the surgeon and depends upon the radiological picture as well as the decision to whether to do mediastinoscopy and biopsy or FNAC that is fine needle aspiration cytology.

I hope this answers your queries, please feel free to asks for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon