Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

What are the treatment options for chronic abdominal pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 3614 Questions
Well I am a long term Chronic Abdominal Pain patient who has had 4 surgeries and everything removed and live with Horrific Chronic Pain and I am trying to find a Specialist as I am currently at the Auburn Clinic due to my Dr. breaking her breaking her neck and closing her practice and going to work there 2 days a week. I am tired of being treated poorly even when I simply tried to get a PCP and didn't ask for any meds...I don't know how long she will be practicing and is very limited on what she can prescribe thee. I have been asking for her to change my long acting as it is not working anymore???? I am disabled after my 4th surgery at 44.... I was just wondering if your doctors prescribe a long acting with a short acting and whatever other treatment options they will do?"
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Chronic pain needs management Detailed Answer: Hello madam! Chronic abdominal pain with 4 surgeries, no wonder you are in pain. Add to this trouble is the bed ridden state of yours. I am sorry to hear about your doctor. If you want you can replace another good practitioner who is patient friendly and does not treat you badly. But remember when doctor remain cautious in pain management they want you to avoid over dosages and misuse. After all remember the goal of all this effort is restoration of normal function (minimal disability), better quality of life, reduction of use of medication, and prevention of relapse of chronic symptoms. You for sure need a pain management. But more than that you need a little effort to do physical therapies and vocational therapies and seek psychiatric help for management of your this chronic pain syndrome. Since an online prescription is not valid, my prescription will not help you and over the counter medication may not help. Aside from vocational, recreational , psychiatric and physical therapies which you need the most to feel better, there are other options which you can discuss with you GP to see what is best for you. 1) Nerver Blocks 2) Spinal Cord Stimulation 3) Intrathecal Morphine Pumps. I believe in Patient Control Analgesia PCA as patient has the right to remain pain free. Discuss all these options with your doctor and they will decide what is best for you. The list of drugs which you can discuss with your doctor are 1) skeletal muscle relaxants like Tizanidine 2) Antidepressants like Flouexatines, paroxetenes, TCAs etc. 3) Anti convulsants like Gabapentin and pregabalin 4) Analgesics like oxycodone, fentanyl, acetaminophen ibuprofen etc. If your current GP is unable to write a prescription, you may ask for a referral to another pain medicine specialist / psychiatrist to start the treatment early. Hope i answered your query. If you have any further queries please feel free to ask. Other wise kindly close the discussion and rate the answer as per your experience. I wish you a very good luck. Take some very good care of yourself Regards Dr S Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What are the treatment options for chronic abdominal pain? 12 hours later
Thank You Dr XXXXXXX I appreciate your kindness and understanding. Just to be clear that my Dr. does do pain management but is very limited. One of the Dr.s LOL who was so mean was through UC XXXXXXX as I was trying to obtain just a PCP with hopes to help with continuity of care and get a referral to UCD's pain management and coordinate with my present Dr. My Dr. cannot prescribe any Oxycontin at the clinic where she works so I am on Kadian and it has stopped working. I take 260 mg twice daily and 8 Norco's a day. At first it was great but after being on it for over a year it has stopped working for me???? Dr. I am never disoriented or inebriated an I never get high off of this. I don't want to be high I just want to be out of pain that's all.....I haven't touched any illicit drugs in over 12 years and have never had a positive test through my Dr. I am willing to drive if need be?? I asked my Dr. to do a nerve block in my abdomen and she said we had already doe it. Don't you think that I would remember a big needle going into my abdomen? I am terrified of needles so I think so.. If you know of any Drs. who could help me then we could coordinate with my Dr. a referral to him or her? Before I got sick this last time I was a Counselor and Supervisor who carried a caseload of 53 clients and Supervised half of the Counseling Staff and helped in coordinating care throughout their treatment so I know how this works. I just don't understand the ignorance of some of the Medical Community and why they are not required more education on the difference between Addiction and Chronic Pain. It baffles me that people think that I am having FUN here?? Sincerely, Sharon XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: pain needs medicines plus physio etc Detailed Answer: Thanx for asking again Well I am sorry for the inconveniences and who so ever thinks of your pain as little has no professional ethics. Patient has the right to be pain free, its our duty to make that sure. If you are not satisfied with your doctor find some one else who would care for that. I am sure they will understand. Pain management needs a lot of expertise also. Usually Anesthesiologists are very good in management of severe pains. Find an anesthesiologist or ask your doctor to refer you to anesthesiologist for pain management. I am sure your pain is managable. No doubt 4 surgeries are alot of pain, But you need not to forget other aspects too which I mentioned to you, You are harming yourself being bed ridden and immobile. I said physiotherapies and recreational and vocational therapies will help and reduce the dosage of pain killers required. Please consider it too. Hope I was of some help. If you have more queries please feel free to ask otherwise don't forget to close the discussion please. I wish you a very good health Regards Dr S Khan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor