Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

What are the treatment available for stammering?

Feb 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 3176 Questions
Good evening. I have small request to get rid of stammering. One of my friend, who has been suffering by stammering from childhood. He is 25 now, while speaking he is getting too much of struggle, If you give some advises that's will help him.

Thanks & Regards,

Posted Sat, 16 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later

Good evening,

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

The treatment of stammering depends on the following principles:

1.Speaking more slowly and in a relaxed manner

2.Regulating breathing while speaking

3.Gradually progressing from single syllable responses to longer words and more

But the Speech pathologist or Speech therapist will guide how to pronounce the words and to lessen the stammering.

So I advise you to consult a Speech therapist for behavioral speech therapy.

If it is unsuccessful, drug therapy is available which will be advised by a Psychiatrist.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor