What are the treatment available for rosacea?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello, I am curious what kind of medical/skin treatments are available for rosacea?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 19 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

Rosacea is treatable now.
The drugs used in treatment include topical creams like Metronidazole gel ,clindamycin and erythromycin gel.Also Azilic acid cream is effective and is available as Aziderm cream.Combination creams are more effective than monotherapy.
Oral antibiotics are also effective.The doxycycline,tetracycline ,amoxicillin are effective.Minocycline is the most effective in my opinion.
Short course oral steroids are useful in controlling flare.

Retinoids are the most effective agents.They can be used in oral and topical forms.
Isotretinoin is available orally and tretinoin and tazarotene is available for topical use.
Benzoyl peroxide face wash is available as brevoxyl face wash and is very effective.

Some other modalities said to be effective are lasers,Intense pulse light,photodynamic therapy, chemical peels etc.

Regular use of zinc based sunscreen and avoiding hot,spicy food can help prevent recurrences.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.
Regards.
DrSudarshan
Dermatology.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 10 minutes later
Thank you, this is helpful.
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 15 hours later
If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it at the end.
Regards.