What are the tests to detect creatinine and urea levels?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Is creatine, egfr and urea part of a full bloid count?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no not part of full blood count ( FBC)

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

No, this is not part of a full blood count. The full blood count looks at the red blood cells, platelets, white blood cells (also looks at the different types of white blood cells).
As part of the red blood cells would give values for hemoglobin, hematocrit, MCV, MCHC, red blood cells mass though what is given may vary from lab to lab.

It does not include urea, creatinine and EGFR.

Urea, creatinine, EGFR would be done with electrolytes and kidney function tests.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
My mum has creatine of more than 90 hospital said , does this mean kidney failure then?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No evidence of any failure present

Detailed Answer:
No,

This is not indicative of kidney failure.

The lower and upper limits can vary from lab to lab because of differences in technique and also there are slight country to country variations but in general the upper limit for females can range from 90 to 100 mmol/l.
In Canada, it goes up to 110 in some labs.

This means that your mother's result is fine. There is no evidence of kidney failure. Creatinine is expected to rise somewhat with age because the organs do not work as well as they would have when the person was younger but your mother's result is fine.

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 minutes later
They said greater than 90 . They
Did not give exact reading . Why would they just say more than 90? Also my mother has swelling both ankles area for ages now
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need exact value for creatinine

Detailed Answer:
HI

You may want to ask for a readout of the result so that you would know the exact value. In addition the lab forms would have the reference range for that particular lab so that you could compare the value.
Greater than 90 could mean anything over 91, there is no way to say how high it is.
Creatinine can up to thousands in some persons.

The exact value would determine if there is any issues with the kidneys.

Swelling in the ankles may not necessarily be related to the kidneys. It can occur with venous disease, side effect of medication, due to trauma, heart and liver disease.

Venous disease is common with aging, the blood is retained in the veins instead of going up to the heart efficiently. It is not life threatening in any way, only irritating because of the swelling and discomfort.
Normally varicose veins may be seen and the swelling resolves when the feet are elevated.

Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 hours later
I misunderstood. The creatine is 60 and egfr over 90
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
good results for your mother

Detailed Answer:
Hi

A creatinine of 60 is good and would be considered normal.

In terms of the EGFR (estimated glomerular filtration rate) which is also a measure of kidney function, it lets you know how well the kidneys are filtering toxins from the body.
In kidney disease, it would decrease.

Your mother's EGFR is over 90 and associated with a normal creatinine, this means that she has good kidney function

Hope this reassures you