What are the tests to be taken to confirm the causes for low libido?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Doctor,

Currently I am facing low libido. Pl let me know what test should I do to confirm the cause of the issue?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult qualified Urologist for evaluation .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you been taking Finesteride probably for loss of hair and now facing loss of libido.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Since how long you have noticed loss of libido?
2) Did you have normal libido before you started taking Finesteride ?
3) Were you getting good hard erection before you started taking Finesteride 0

Finesteride is known to have side effect of loss of libido hence your loss of libido is due Finesteride that you are taking ...

Please discontinue taking drug immediately and observe whether your libido is back to normal within 2-3 weeks.

If it persist consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and get following basic test done to establish cause of loos of libido and Erectile Dysfunction .
1) Blood Sugar levels to rule out Diabetes
2) Serum Testosterone levels Total and free
3) Thyroid hormone study
4) Serum Prolactin
5) Color Doppler Penile Scan (If required ).

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis,

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Hello Dr. XXXXXXX

Before taking I had a severe dandruff problem and hairloss when I started with Isotroin some 2 months back and then started with finepecia a month back.

I had a normal errection before that and have spotted it some month back only. During this last month my work pressure had increased so thought this was due to my work pressure. But I still am facing this issue.

Do you want me to stop both medicines or only Finepecia?

Is this side effect temporary or a permanent one?

Thanks for your advice Doc.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your problem is basically due to side effects of the drugs .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for feedback and follow up.

Your problem of loss of libido is basically due to side effect of the drugs ..
Stop taking these drugs immediately .

You will regain your libido in 2-3 weeks .Do not worry ,It is temporary .

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T