What are the tests for Syphilis?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Tue, 1 Apr 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: Hello im 25 years old and had sexual intercourse with someone who lied about usung protection. A day later i get a call frim his girkfriend saying he has syphilis. What fo i do if i go get tested will it show up? And is it curable? Web md says uts as deadly as hiv
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DO BLOOD TEST FOR SYPHILIS. IT IS CURABLE. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. First of all, unprotected sex with Syphilis infected partner always has greater risk of transmission of the disease. It is one type of STD. However, it is NOT grave or severe as like as HIV infection if early diagnosis & treatment can be done. Primary Syphilis is typically acquired by direct sexual intercourse and symptoms appear after 3 (average) to 12 weeks. Most common location is CERVIX among infected women. Local lymph node enlargement may occur with skin lesion over genital area. DIAGNOSIS: Syphilis is difficult to diagnose clinically early by its presentation. Confirmation is done either via blood tests or under microscopy. Blood tests are more commonly used, as they are easier to perform. FTA-ABS is more commonly used blood test after initial VDRL test to confirm Syphilis. It is more specific for Treponemal Sp than non-treponemal testing such as VDRL. In addition, FTA-Abs turns positive earlier and remains positive longer than VDRL. EIA (Enzyme Immunoassay) for Ig G can be performed additionally. Here, I suggest you to wait 3 to 4 weeks before going to get tested to avoid false result. You can consult with your healthcare provider regarding this. TREATMENT: Yes, it is curable and you receive proper treatment. Drug of choice for uncomplicated syphilis remains a single dose of intramuscular penicillin G or a single dose of oral Azithromycin. Doxycycline and tetracycline are alternative choices. Hope, it helps for your information. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and practice safe sex with protection (latex Condom) in future. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 3 hours later
Ok. The incident happened this past sunday. You think its too early to schedule am appointment to be tested? I dont know if i can handle it.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: WAIT 3 to 4 WEEKS BEFORE DOING TEST. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. In my opinion, you should wait for 3 to 4 weeks (at least) or appearance of some clinical symptoms before scheduling appointment for test. It is preferred to avoid FALSE NEGATIVE result and repetition of blood tests. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly close the discussion. All the best and good luck. Regards, Dr Soumen
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 6 minutes later
How about hiv how long should i wait for that?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: HIV-PCR TEST CAN BE DONE AFTER 28 DAYS. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for query. HIV-PCR test can be done 28 days after exposure or unprotected sex with partner (either HIV status is known or unknown). It is the best test to detect HIV infection earlier in window period. It is extremely accurate and sensitive. However, the test is expensive one. Kindly, consult with healthcare provider. Hope, it helps for you. Kindly, close the discussion. Regards, Dr Soumen