What are the symptoms to look post head injury?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016 in Head Injuries
Question: Hi, I fell night before last and hit the back of my head, of course there was plenty of blood, but haven't experienced any other symptoms, today i have most of the blood out of my hair so I can see the contusion, after cleaning it up, I noticed it soft and pliable around the area, is that normal, or should I be concerned.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get it examined by a surgeon.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being on HCM.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

I understand your concern and I sincerely suggest you to please get your injury examined by a general surgeon,as soon as possible.
It might be a hematoma.It might get infected.You might need to be put on antibiotics.
I mean whatever it is,but one thing is sure that it needs an urgent physical examination by a general surgeon.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have some further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up else please close the thread,rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ajay Panwar 44 minutes later
Why is it soft and pliable around the wound, i know that a subdural hematoma is very dangerous, but is a hematoma always serious?
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
This may be a scalp hematoma. A CT scan of head may be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for being in follow-up.

I am not talking here in context with subdural hematoma. Subdural hematoma is blood collection inside skull and not outside the skull. I meant scalp hematoma in your case. Scalp hematoma may get infected and result in abscess formation. That's why I said that it must be examined by a surgeon to avoid any complications. However, if the trauma was so intense a CT scan of head may be done to rule out subdural hematoma as well.

Hope that I have answered your query. If you have some further questions, I shall be glad to have you in follow-up or else please close the thread, rate it and write a review.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina