What are the symptoms to look for tick bites in children?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Infections
Question: Hi there,
We just bought property and are building a house on 100 acres. I had heard that there were lots of ticks in the area but didn't think much of it until today after I pulled a tick from my sons head! It was embedded but not engorged at all. Can you tell me what kinds of symptoms I should look for in him and for how long I need to monitor him?
XXX
Answered by Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Borelliosis and tick borne encephalitis to be watched for

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

with ticks, there is two main infectious diseases to be looking after in Canada:

1. Borelliosis (bacteria). Here you need to be looking for a red circular rash around the biting spot, fever or joint pain. If any of that occurs, please see your local doc to possibly get antibiotics prescribed.

2. Tick born encephalitis (virus)
Here you need to be looking for any cold/ flu like symptoms in the next few weeks. Do not worry since in most cases this will heal itself. Only in rare cases meningitis/ encephalitis occurs (headache, tiredness, neck pain) also here in most cases this goes away by itself, but can require hospital treatment. Only in very rare cases there can be chronic neurological damage. For this is no specific medication available, but it is possible to get a vaccine, please get advised by your local gp about this.

Hope this is helping you , if you have any clarifications you can get back to me, if this was helpful please kindly rate my answer. Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ralf Von Seckendorff