• question-icon

What are the symptoms to look after falling from stairs?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Accident and Emergency
Question: Hello I just feel down a flight of stairs and hit my right cheek bone and my neck is in incredible pain. I was half asleep and all I know for sure if I landed at the bottom of the steps with my neck in incredible pain. I can turn and lift my neck but not without significant pain in the c muscles that support my neck, so my neck muscles and the muscles that run from your shoulder to neck, and that between my shoulder blades. Sleeping on it but will be going to MD tomorrow if this persists. What do u need to know or be on the look out for?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Use cervical collar.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

It is necessary to know if you feel other symptoms such pins and needles in your hands, or any weakness in order to understand the extent of neck traumatic damage.

If you experience any of these symptoms, you need to be evaluated sooner than tomorrow.

It is necessary also to immobilize your neck with a cervical collar till the medical and imaging evaluation in order to ease your symptoms and prevent further damage.

NSAID drugs such ibuprofen could help in relieving pain.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical