What are the symptoms of vagus nerve damage in the abdomen?

Dr. Eris Ranxha

Neurologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Question: What are the symptoms of vagus nerve damage in the abdomen? I fainted 2 weeks ago. Woke up with chest tightening, got dizzy and fainted in the middle of the night. Neurologist doesn't think its neurological. But all he did was bang on my legs, make me scqueeze his fingers, look in my eyes and mouth, and put a drill to my forehead as well as a cold hammer to my cheeks, and to touch his fingers with mine. I asked him if my vagus nerve is damaged. He said no. Since I fainted I have pains on my upper-mid-lower abdomen. Dull, stinging pains that radiate. Loss of appetite and nausea. It comes and goes. I read a lot on the vagus nerve. Is this vagus nerve damage?
Answered by Dr. Eris Ranxha 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not a neurological disorder

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
It isn't common that the damage of vagus nerve comes will your symptoms
In my opinion as your neurological exam was normal and you haven't neurological deficits the possibility of vagus damage is almost 0 %
Anyway I would strongly recommend that you schedule an gastrological check maybe an gastrofibroscopy will be needed
I don't think you are suffering a neurological disorder
Hope my answer will help you in finding the diagnose
Best regards
Dr Eris Ranxha
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju