question-icon

What are the symptoms of typhoid fever?

Posted on Tue, 12 May 2015
Question: Hi Doctor,

My wife has widal test positive she does not have fever now so could you please tell me the medicines ofr it?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta (1 hour later)
Brief answer....need not worry about it and no need for any medicines now if you have taken a proper antibiotic course for typhoid.
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
You should not worry about the positive Widal test after fever is over.
Widal test is a serological test which demonstrates salmonella antibodies against salmonella antigens ( which cause typhoid fever ).
These antibodies persist in blood for sometime even after fever is over and hence a positive widal after fever is over doesn't mean much and hence nothing to worry.
Eat light and  healthy and home cooked food .
Wash your hands thoroughly with soap after going to toilet because one excretes some bacteria in stool for some time.
I hope it helps however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta (15 hours later)
Thanks a lot Doctor:):)
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta (45 minutes later)
You are most welcome to ask any query any time.
Thanks
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta